Your guide to Christmas markets and festive events in Bath27 November 2015
Christmas is a fantastic time to visit Bath. Beautiful and buzzing all year round, the month of December and all the festive sparkle that comes with it transforms the city. It sounds twee, but Bath really is just a little bit magical at this time of year.
One of the main reasons visitors flock to Bath in December is its world-renowned Christmas markets, taking place this year between 26th November and 13th December. You’ll spot the market’s more than 170 traditional wooden chalets right in the heart of Bath. In fact, guests at Bath Holiday Rentals properties in the city centre, including those next to famous attraction Sally Lunn’s Historic Eating House, may be able to see the twinkly lights of the markets from their windows!
A short stroll down York Street and Bath Street takes you past stalls bursting with handmade Christmas gifts and toys, warming and aromatic mulled wine, a host of traditional, cinnamon-infused sweet treats and lots of hot food to enjoy with friends and family. New for the festive season this year, the Abbey Hotel in Bath has created a very unique igloo vaulted party venue full of drinks, food and quirky features. – A great location for private parties and NYE fun!
The Christmas Market will also be the venue for loads of festive entertainment, from performances by local community brass bands and children’s school choirs to Norland Choir and the Rock Choir. Carol singing will be taking place in Bath Abbey, and the city’s Natural Theatre Company will also be entertaining the crowds.
Beyond the markets: other Christmas events in Bath
If you’ve decided to take a weekend or even a week-long break in Bath, there’s lots of other Christmas cheer to drink in at locations around the city. Here are just a few of the winter highlights in this ever-surprising city:
- Bath on Ice at Victoria Park – an open air ice rink, which this year has a glow in the dark mini golf course right next door!
- The Christmas Lodge on Stall Street – brand new for 2015 is an indoor venue in the heart of the Christmas Markets, boasting locally produced food and drink
- Santa in his Christmas Grotto in the SouthGate shopping centre – perfect for delighting the little ones while you get some Christmas shopping done
- Christmas shopping – Bath is home to plenty of adorable and unique boutique shops, as well as Milson Place, a collection of luxurious designer stores, and Jolly’s, the UK’s oldest department store
- Bath Guildhall Indoor Christmas Market – if the outdoor markets are getting a little chilly, warm up indoors and browse marquees packed with food, drink and gifts galore!
- Bath Magical Trail – join in some fun and games this December with #BathMagicalTrail, a photographic tour of the city, and look out for some fun seasonal surprises!
- Festival of Light in Longleat – if you care to venture out of the city from now until 13th January, you can catch an extraordinary spectacle of hundreds of illuminated designs transforming the impressive Wiltshire estate in Longleat into a dazzling, multi-coloured Winter Wonderland. Well worth a visit, and make sure you take the kids!
Remember, if you need somewhere central to stay during your Christmas visit, Bath Holiday Rentals has over 60 luxurious apartments conveniently located in and around the city – but they will book up fast!