What’s on in Bath’s beautiful theatres this summer6th June 2016
Like many of the other stunning Georgian buildings in Bath, the city’s theatres are a huge draw for visitors – as is the world famous programme of theatre, music, comedy and performing arts that Bath is known for.
If you’re planning to visit Bath this summer, here’s our pick of the best performances and events taking place in the city’s beautiful theatres and contemporary venues.
No visit to Bath is complete without setting foot inside the wondrous and historic Theatre Royal, built in 1805 in resplendent Georgian style. You’ll find the theatre conveniently located right in the heart of the city, and for guests staying at Bath Holiday Rentals properties such as Gay Street House and the Hot Bath apartment, it’s just a short stroll away. Here’s what’s on this summer:
• 24 Hour Plays – opening on 12th June in the Ustinov Studio, this innovative series of performances features six plays created completely from scratch in just 24 hours
• King Lear – directed by Max Webster and starring Michael Pennington, this Shakespearean classic is only showing from 6th -11th June, so don’t leave it too late to get your tickets!
• Present Laughter – one of Noel Coward’s funniest plays, starring Phyllis Logan and Samuel West, Present Laughter runs from 22nd June to 9th July.
If you have children, don’t forget to check out The Egg at the Theatre Royal, a creative, fun theatre space just for the little ones!
• Great Expectations – from 15th-18th June, Second Face Theatre Co present a reimagining of the Charles Dickens classic, in an adventure for all the family that promises to be both exciting and just a little surprising.
• Emma – the in-house Rondo Theatre Company present an interpretation of Jane Austen’s tale of meddling but well-meaning heroine Emma, running from 28th June until 2nd July.
• Madame Butterfly – opera fans will absolutely adore this spell-binding, deeply felt version of Puccini’s Madame Butterfly, presented by Bath Opera and running from 8th to 9th July.
In the perfect position for those staying with us in the city centre, this award-winning venue hosts a wide variety of acclaimed music, theatre and live comedy performances. This summer’s line-up includes:
• Edinburgh Previews – running virtually all summer, all of the funniest comics bring their material to Bath ahead of the Edinburgh Festival, with highlights including Seann Walsh, Lucy Porter and Daniel Cook.
• Ezra Furman – if you like to mix a bit of music in with all that theatre, catch rising star and US talent Ezra Furman at Komedia on 22nd August.
If you’re looking for somewhere cosy and just a bit special to head back to after your night at the theatre, a Bath Holiday Rentals property could be just the ticket.