Christmas shopping in Bath – a guide to the city’s best independent artisans, artists and makers4th December 2020
It’s never been more important to support local businesses – and Bath has loads of them! It’s one of the best cities in the UK for independent businesses, artisans and producers, particularly when it comes to food and drink.
So, while the normal festive events like the Bath Christmas Markets won’t be taking place this year, you can still get all of your Christmas shopping sorted.
Here’s our guide to the best independent businesses in Bath for your 2020 Christmas shopping…
Food and drink
- Bath Soft Cheese Company – an organic producer of award-winning artisan cheeses for your Christmas table, based on a farm near Bath.
- Grown Up Marshmallows – handmade luxury marshmallows made with 100% natural, ethically sourced ingredients.
- Go Wild Preserves – delicious seasonal jams, chutneys and jellies made by a foraging-mad, family-run team based in Portishead, not far from Bath.
- Beckford’s Rum Spirits – a brilliant, Great Taste Award-winning Bath business selling an irresistible range of caramel and spiced rums.
- Plum Duff & Stuff – A small, family-run business specialising in homemade traditional Christmas puddings, usually found at the Bath Christmas Markets.
Gifts and cards
- Julia Davey – one of Bath’s best independent boutiques, with a beautiful selection of hand-illustrated ceramics, cards, quirky gifts and contemporary homewares.
- My Small World Toy Store – an award-winning independent toy store in Bath selling unique toys and books, from the educational to the weird and wonderful.
- Mr B’s Emporium and Topping & Company Booksellers of Bath – Bath is lucky to have not one but two fabulous independent bookshops, with friendly, knowledgeable staff ready to help you find the perfect literary gift for a loved one.
- Waller & Wood – unique stoneware ceramics, jewellery and painted clothing made by artists Carole Waller and Gary Wood.
- Limelight Bath – elegantly wrapped, hand-poured candles and home fragrances.
- Icarus Jewellery – an independent silver jewellery specialist based in Bath, selling handcrafted necklaces, rings, bracelets, earrings, brooches and more.
- Bohobo Aromatherapies – a sumptuous selection of natural aromatherapy and skincare products, handmade in Somerset.
- Bath Aqua Glass – this fantastic glass specialist, nestled in Bath’s Artisan Quarter, is the perfect place to buy stunning hand-blown baubles, plus activity voucher gifts for 2021.
- Robyn Coetzee – delicate, exquisitely crafted glass bird baubles for your Christmas tree, plus personalised robins which make the perfect gift.
- Bollywood Christmas – colourful, unique and richly patterned Christmas decorations, designed in Bath and handcrafted by talented artisans in India.
Of course, this is by no means an exhaustive list of all the fabulous shops, makers and artisans in Bath. One of the best places to find a full listing is the Bath Christmas Markets 2020 website, which includes ways you can support Bath charities this Christmas.
And if you’re coming to Bath for a spot of Christmas shopping (depending on current COVID restrictions), make sure you book yourself somewhere lovely to stay.
Take a look at our elegant, city centre self-catering apartments in Bath city centre, and get in touch if you need any advice.